Monday, August 27, 2012

borrowed time

It's sort of literal, actually.  I'm really really excited to start sharing some songs with you that come from a very important part of my music therapy career--- my internship!  With gracious permission from supervising music therapists, as well as other therapists I worked with, I'm happy to share with you songs and activities that were shared with me 6-7 years ago.  "Internship Interventions" (does that sound like a reality TV show? ) will highlight pieces by these creative minds that were mainstays during my time with Midwest Music Therapy Services in St. Louis- as well as during my practice today.  Truly some "goodies."  I hope you find them as useful as I have. 

Today's song is from Lindsay Betz. Lindsay was one of 4 MTs I had the pleasure of learning from during my internship.  Her songwriting style was fun, and I always enjoyed how she could make learning academic tasks seem enjoyable with her ditties. I can say that I've gone back to "Tick Tock Clock" time and time again (no pun meant : ) throughout my career. Currently, Lindsay and her husband own and operate Jonathan Betz Photography in Colorado Springs.  Thanks so much for sharing your creativeness, Lindsay!




TICK TOCK CLOCK*

Tick, tock, look at the clock-
Let’s learn how to tell time.
Tick, tock, look at the clock-
You will see two hands.

First, look at the short hand-
This is the hour hand.
Find the number on which it lands.
The hour is: ____________.

Next, look at the long hand-
This is the minute hand.
Find the number on which it lands,
Then count by 5’s.
Start at 12 with “0”.
0-5-10-15-20-25-30-35-40-45-50-55-0
The “0” means o’clock
The minute is: _____________.

Then, put the numbers together.
First the hour, then the minute-
Now you’ve figured out the time.
The time is: _____________________:_____________________.


*over the years, I've adapted the lyrics just a bit to accomodate students' styles of learning