Monday, February 27, 2012

a "sweet" little song

Sweet, indeed!  In fact, upon some first encounters with this particular instrument some kiddos have (pretend) licked it.  The picture gives it away, but I'm talking about my trio of lollipop drums! (Any other MTs experience a similar reaction with your clients?)  It's fun to be able to offer an instrument that looks like a sweet treat  : )

In my arsenal of activities, I try to keep at least one "instrument-specific" song handy.  That is, a song that can be used to accompany playing, describe the instrument, or instruct how to play (ie: "Rub the Cabasa" or "The Clatterpillar Goes Click-Clack") while a client is manipulating the specific object.  I have a few songs about drums, but not one for the specific lollipop variety.  And... one of my kiddos has been working so very hard on articulation of /L/ and /th/ sounds...so... yahoo- a song with more than one use!  (gotta love multi-purposing an activity :) )  I tried hard to include a variety of initial, medial, and final (occuring first-in the middle-at the end of a word) placements of both sounds, as well as plenty of opportunities to practice throughout the song- we don't just want to include 2 /L/ words and call it a day!  When using this song to target articulation, we also practice the words without music before/after, as well as use a mirror to watch placement of the tongue (when not holding and playing a drum, of course!)

I hope you may find this useful for one or both of my intended purposes.  Let me know if you can think of another : )
Oh- and the /L/ and /th/ sounds we're working on are both sounding lovely!





THE LOLLIPOP DRUM

/th/, /th/, /th/, the lollipop
Play the lollipop drum
/th/, /th/, /th/, the lollipop
Playing is so much fun

Round like a circle
Sweet as can be
Sing along,
Play this song,
With me

/th/, /th/, /th/, the lollipop
Play the lollipop dru-um
/th/, /th/, /th/, the lollipop
Play the lollipop drum